Molten Lava Cake by Cook Mimi
-4 ounces chopped chocolate (I would use either semi or bitter sweet)
-1/2 cup unsalted butter
-2 large eggs
-2 egg yolks
-1/4 cup granulated sugar
-3 tbsp flour
- Preheat the oven to 450 F or 230 C. Butter 6 cups of a cupcake tine or 4 4-oz ovenproof ramekins. Cover the butter with granulated sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium heat proof bowl, melt together the chocolate and the butter (they should be chopped to roughly the same size). You can microwave it by nuking it in 30 second increments, but I prefer a double boiler method. Take a slightly smaller sauce pan, add about an inch of water and bring to a simmer. Place the bowl on top of the sauce pan and let it melt
- Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks and sugar until pale and thick. You can achieve this with a electric mixer (medium for 8 minutes) or by hand. It's not that bad by hand. Nothing like whipping meringue, but if you have a electric mixer, go for it!
- Pour in the melted chocolate and butter mixture and mix until combined. Add in the flour and mix until combined.
- Evenly distribute the batter evenly among the ramekins or the cupcake cups. If using ramekins, bake for 10-12 minutes or until the center is still jiggly, but there is a thin crust all around. For the cupcake cups, bake for 5-7 minutes. Don't worry, while under baking can result in a collapsed cake, I think it's much better to under bake than over bake. Though either way (and I've under baked and over baked) it's still delicious!
- While the cakes are baking, make your whipped cream. Beat the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla until desired consistency is reached.
- Carefully invert the ramekins on plates and let the cake slide out. It may help to tap the bottoms gently. If using a cupcake pan, simply place a cutting board over the pan and flip. You may need help.
- Plate your cakes and garnish as desired!